Wednesday, August 6, 2014

No One Puts Baby In The Corner...

Before I moved to NY, I styled for a New England bridal magazine and before that, a high end Bridal salon on Newbury St. (managing their PR and events). I have always had a love for the crazy "bridal world".  It’s an economy-safe money machine. My Senior thesis at Lasell high, (kidding, Lasell College) was 50 some odd pages of a detailed bridal consignment business (I guess i’ll keep that plan for later in life).

Although I have worked in the industry for over 5 years, I honestly never thought of my own wedding. When asked, I truly didn't have an answer. I want nothing I've ever seen, nothing I've ever done, and NOTHING that was cookie cutter. I have never tried on a bridal gown and I've never put anyone else's ring on (IT'S BAD LUCK).

Now that my time has come, my experience in the bridal industry has been nothing but a problem. Like I've said, I don't like typical, average, or normal. I like creative, unique and clearly expensive.

There are very few things that I want at our wedding. First, the location. I want my guests to have an amazing time, feel comfortable, and be able to enjoy themselves.  I didn't want a venue where we had to have cocktails promptly at 6, dinner at 7:05, speeches at 7:20, cake cutting at 8:00, parents dances at 8:30… you get the idea. Thankfully, my location was a breeze(not like I saw anything else).

Second, a band. Although I may not be good at it, I LOVE to dance. My friends, Matt’s friends, my family. You name it, we all have pep in our step. Well, the more accurate statement would be;
   "Trust me, you can dance!" - vodka

typical move, one
hand up drink
in the other
But in all honesty, the band is the biggest part of this wedding. I didn't want a "wedding band" unless it was the Dan Band (Wedding Crashers, of course) but that wasn't within Tiger’s budget.  I have too much of a shopping problem to afford them so I figured I would look at local bars around Salem. Rockafellas, known for having great Saturday night bands, was a great place to start. It didn't take me long it find one that I actually remembered(trust me, Its a big deal)! This one band had me on my feet all night! She was interactive, expressive and funny. Plus, she can channel my girl Janice(Joplin for those who don't know).

Anyway, I went home for Fourth of July weekend in hopes to see them play again. Due to the weather, both of their performances were re-scheduled. I asked Donna and Tiger to make plans to see them the following weekend. I, of course, had to work.

I do not understand how people can plan a destination wedding! I am under four hours away from home and can't make it to most of the meetings, viewings or events. Thankfully I have my family, who are trying to see my vision and understand what I'm looking for... I hope.

Because this was the biggest decision i’ll make within the wedding planning process (bedside maybe my dress), I knew my dancing, drinking, emotional, partner in crime would be the best person to give me his honest opinion; My Dad.

So there I was at work, on a Sunday night doing a floor set (for all of you who do not work in retail or visual management it's HELL), slaving away,  Tiger is sending me videos of the band.
I’m asking him if he likes them, if he thinks the lead singer is interactive, if he's dancing, etc… I received no answer.

Well, let me back up for a minute. My dad, not the most tech savvy person in the world, recently got an iPhone and has yet to take his eyes off of it. He used to yell at us for texting at the dinner table or for being on that "face group thing”. Well let me tell you, the tables have turned. He's a new man, texting (in abbreviations), emailing, taking pictures and videos. Not only does he have more pictures and videos of my dog than I do, but he shares them with his "friends".  "You want to see an awesome dog, this dog right here"… he goes on and on, then people say “wow your dog is great”, "Oh no that’s my daughters dog, they live in NY"
 
He proudly shows pictures of his family, work he has done and his pride and joy ME(kidding, well kinda. Sarah and Tj have grown to accept their roles)!

He is obviously a huge part of this journey and I want him to be involved wherever he can be.

So, back to the band… He's sending me these blurry videos of songs we like. One of them: a Tom Petty classic. We went to a Tom Petty concert together when I was in high school. Had a great time dancing/ singing only a few rows away from the stage. Not the typical father daughter outing, but it’s what we liked.

I finally get a hold of my mom, who is stuck going on these crazy adventures with him. She thought they were good, but hard to tell because they did not have their entire 8 pieces set at this event. I thought okay, good start lets keep looking.

Then… the text from Tiger….
 
A SELFIE of him and the lead singer. The text read
 "Good-n-You"
Of course, the infamous saying! yeah, he does actually own the Patten on this phrase. And don't forget the first location of the Good-n- You tattoo! (If you know him, I'm sure its not a vision you want to remember)

Seriously, my almost 55 year old father was taking selfies with the band I should be listening to for MY wedding! Honestly, I can't make this up.

I said: “So Dad what do you think?”
He responded; "She's great, we are tight. I have her personal number.  Did you know she played at  _______ wedding last year?"

At that point I put my phone down, finished the floor set, and went home and pored a huge glass of wine. Jealous of my dad enjoying the little aspects of wedding planning I’m missing out on.

Sometimes I really wonder, whose wedding is this?



- Ash 



No comments:

Post a Comment