Thursday, July 24, 2014

The REAL Bridezilla….

After formally announcing our engagement (obviously done via Facebook),  we were taken back by the tremendous amount of support and kind words from our friends and family. This included the 398 Facebook "likes" (80% of which were probably Matt’s friends, there is no way that many people like me).

A few weeks later, I was able to get some time off from work to head to my parents house. We wanted to get a jump-start on some plans, set a budget, and maybe look at a venue or two. Due to our living situation, Matt and I have minimal time to spend in Massachusetts. I wanted to take advantage of whatever time I had off!

I had done some research to see what locations could accommodate the ridiculous amount of people we had to invite.

Tiger, my dad, is lucky enough to have two enormous loving family's…
One; his blood.  Who provided me with my, not-so-good “side step” & finger-pointing dancing abilities in addition to my love for a drink...or two.

Two; his "adopted" side.  My late, amazing Buppy took my dad in as her own at the age of 7.  He lived with the Jennings’ for over 23 years and fit into their enormous polish family perfectly. Picture my uncles to be more like the three stooges; loud, funny, charismatic, and very well-fed.  Without them, I don't know where we would be.

Add in Donnas side, cousins, college friends, Salem friends, Long Island friends (where Matt grew up), and... oh yeah...Matt's family - and we now have ourselves a larger guest list, than attendants at a Red Sox/Yankees game.  Kidding, but it sure feels that way.
The search narrowed our options down to about 5 locations.  FIVE, out of the thousands listed on The Knot!  After contacting some of the prospects, I was stunned by the astronomical site fees.  But after hearing the $13,000 site fee (from the one I thought would be my ideal location), I couldn't even bring myself to schedule a tour.  I mean really?  How can you ask for that much money, just to step foot in their doors?  Add in the food, decor, flowers, and oh yeah the venue rental (which is completely different from the site fee)...that dream fell to shit real fast.

There was one location that seemed to fit our NFL sized guest list, food requirements, and budget. Donna (Mom), Sarah (Sister), and I took an impromptu drive to the location (without Matt).  To all of our surprise, it was perfect!  
Growing up on the North Shore of Massachusetts, there are not many places you don't know about or know someone, who knows someone, that owns it.

This little gem was off the beaten path. Donna and Tiger, life-long Salemites, haven't even been there! After taking a quick walk through the gorgeous 19+ acres of beautifully manicured land, and seeing the water from every angle, I knew this was the location for us. Sarah took a few quick pictures and sent them to Matt.

Donna, Tiger, and Sarah were able to meet with the event coordinator a week later. They called me right after and said that Dad loved the location. (Donna must have hid the price the entire meeting) I thought, great!  Now all I need is Matt to see it and we can pick a date!
A few days later Tiger called:

"Hey number one what's going on?"
I replied “Nothing what's up?”
“Sooo how do you feel about September 5th 2015?”
“What?” I responded
“ I hope you like it because that's the day you’re getting married. I just dropped off a deposit. Got to go, talk to you later…”

So without Matt seeing the location, us taking a formal tour or ever meeting the event coordinator, our date was set!

While you may think I would be a crazy bride, you were wrong. This is just a preview of the real bridezilla… Tiger













2 comments: